John Clark boasts over 40 years of experience in buying and selling cars, vans, and motorbikes. We know our stuff. This experience helps us find the best price for your vehicle no matter the model or make.
As we buy your car for cash there are no third parties involved making this a smooth, streamlined, and pain-free experience. This refined process can also save on having to pay middlemen a cut or any additional fees.
You might be wondering why you should sell your car to us over one of the other online alternatives. Apart from our high-quality customer service and deep knowledge of the automotive industry, there are a few key benefits.
There are many factors that will affect the condition of your car - the age, mileage, condition, specification, warranty, and number of previous owners. Furthermore, seasonality can also affect what a vehicle is worth as a convertible is likely to be valued slightly higher in the summer months than during the depth of winter.
To help you understand how we measure a vehicles price we split it into three categories – showroom condition, average condition, and below average condition. Below is a breakdown of how certain factors can influence which category your car might fall into and we would advise that you are as honest as possible at this stage to get a true picture of what your car is worth.
It may seem obvious but getting out a bucket and sponge and making your car look as good as new will help it to appear more appealing.
Ensure that you have all service history and MOT information to hand as not only does it help with the value but will need to be provided with the car at the point of sale. It would also be a good idea to have an up to date MOT carried out too.
Check all the electrics to ensure that it is all working correctly. If not, it might be an idea to see whether it is financially viable to get elements repaired prior to trying to sell your car.
if you have damage on the car you may wish to consider getting it repaired prior to getting your car valued.
the lower the mileage the better, so if you can restrict your driving time to keep your miles lower this will help.
it is always helpful to have two keys so get them ready too.
You will need to provide us with your vehicle’s registration and mileage and your basic contact information. Once you have completed the details you will receive an instant valuation on the screen.
Having a vehicle that is still covered by the manufactuer’s warranty will certainly influence the value of your car for the better. The benefit to the buyer is that they have peace of mind that your car is still covered by a warranty.
The more owners a vehicle has had the more likely it is that the vehicle has undergone different driving styles, varied care in terms of looking after the car and inconsistencies in terms of regular servicing which as a result will have a negative impact on the valuation of a car.
How many miles is on a car is a key indicator of how much it is worth with the general rule being the lower the mileage the more it will retain its value, plus it also indicates how much more life the vehicle has left in it.
The ultimate answer to this question is no – you cannot avoid car depreciation, but you can minimise its impact. Typically a new car will lose 50 to 60% of its value in its first three years, with the majority of the decrease occurring in year one and gradually tapering off during year 2 and 3. The best advice to offer is when you buy a car consider a popular model that has minimal running costs and this should help to reduce depreciation.
Once again this is a matter of popularity. If you love bright, vivid and bold coloured vehicles the likelihood is that you will find that your resale value will be less than the same car that is in black, silver, white, grey and blue as these tend to be more popular.
If you wish to sell your car to us, we will obviously have received your registration and know you have a private plate. But you should certainly discuss this matter with your dealership as unless you specifically inform us that you wish to retain the number plate then it would simply be sold with the vehicle.
Simply Sell My Car Terms and Conditions
John Clark Motor Group/We/Us/Our
John Clark Motor Group, Alliance Centre, Greenwell Road, Aberdeen, AB12 3XS
Customer / Owner / You / Your
An individual using our website and negotiating with us on a vehicle
An individual that owns the vehicle that has been valued on www.john-clark.co.uk/simply-sell-my-vehicle
A transaction to purchase an appraised vehicle (including VAT) minus admin/transaction fees and any outstanding finance.
VAT Registered Customers
Customers who are VAT registered who are part exchanging a commercial vehicle to Simply Sell My Car must provide a VAT invoice.
A physical inspection and valuation of a vehicle completed at a physical location – either on one of our premises or at the customers location of choice. This should cover the internal/external area of the vehicle along with the engine bay/boot. Checks will be completed for warning lights on the dashboard.
Video Conference Appraisal
On occasions we may request a video appraisal of the vehicle, predominantly if an owner of a vehicle is long distance from our premises or if either party would prefer to not meet in person.
On occasions we may request photographic evidence of the vehicle that has been valued.
A voucher code may be supplied at our discretion and the voucher amount can be added to your initial online valuation prior to the vehicle being physically inspected. The voucher amount will be added at the point of payment by John Clark Motor Group to the customer.
Only one voucher can be applied to one vehicle. To claim the voucher code value, the customer must state the voucher code to a John Clark Motor Group Simply Sell My Car staff member.
Minimum Value – a voucher code will not be applied to any vehicle below £5000
Any vehicle that is less than 7 years old and has 70,000 mileage
2. Simply Sell My Car – what is it?
www.john-clark.co.uk/simply-sell-my-car is our online service to allow a customer to get a valuation of their vehicle online, regardless of whether the customer intends to purchase a vehicle from the John Clark Motor Group. With just a few simple steps, the customer will then receive a valuation of the vehicle via email.
The valuation will be based on the information provided by the customer and will be guaranteed for 7 days, subject to a satisfactory appraisal of your vehicle within those 7 days. Once a physical valuation or remote video valuation has been carried out by the John Clark Motor Group will confirm the value of the vehicle and that is what will be paid for the vehicle.
The below assumptions will be made when we value a vehicle unless the customer declares otherwise.
• The vehicle has a minimum of 3 months MOT
• The owner must have a comprehensive service history and vehicle manuals
• The vehicle is not an import
• The vehicle has no major mechanical faults
• The vehicle has no major exterior and/or interior damage
• The vehicle has not at any time been subject to an insurance write off or used for private hire, driving tuition or as a police or emergency service vehicle
• The vehicle has no personalised registration plate, or, if the vehicle has a personalised registration plate it will remain with the vehicle and no value is assigned to it
• The vehicle is not a non-runner
• The owner has two sets of keys
• The owner has the locking wheel nut (if applicable)
• The vehicle is in good condition for its age and mileage
• When a customer completes the online valuation process, they will be requested to provide their email address and the valuation will sent to them via email.
• The valuation will be provided on a “Subject to Contract” basis. We, John Clark Motor Group, reserve the right to withdraw the valuation at any time without any legal consequence or liability to the customer.
• It is essential that the information provided online by the customer is correct as it is the basis on which we provide the price given in the valuation. Any incorrect or misleading information will result in an inaccurate pricing valuation being given which will be considered as void and withdrawn by us.
• When we inspect the vehicle, either in person, via video call or with photographic evidence, if the mileage has increased by 1,000 miles or more since the date of the valuation, a new valuation will be given based on the up-to-date mileage.
• We accept no liability whatsoever for any valuation provided which may include any unintentional mistakes or technical errors. If a mistake has been made you should notify us directly as soon as possible so that the mistake can be corrected, and a revised valuation provided.
• All prices given in the valuation will be in pound sterling only and will be inclusive of VAT
Prior to completion of purchase, we will carry out an onsite/video appraisal of the vehicle and its service records to confirm that the vehicle conforms to the Assumptions, listed in section 3, and that the information provided by the customer has been correct and that the vehicle has no mechanical defects.
We may revise the valuation if:
• The vehicle does not conform to the Assumptions; or
• Any information provided by the owner is incorrect; or
• The vehicle is found to have any mechanical defects; or
• The condition of the vehicle has significant impact on the valuation; or
• We become aware of other factors which the owner did not disclose but which affect the valuation of the vehicle; or
• More than seven days have elapsed since we provided the valuation of the vehicle.
6. Purchase contract
Following our onsite inspection or video conference of the vehicle, we will provide you with a verbal offer or email offer to buy the vehicle for the valuation based on these terms and conditions. Our offer will be open for immediate acceptance and performance.
A contract will be made between us on receipt of written acceptance. We are entitled to withdraw our offer at any time prior to acceptance.
When the contract is made the owner will deliver the vehicle to us at one of our John Clark Motor Group premises or we will collect from a pre agreed location specified by the customer. The below items will need to be prepared by the customer:
• The vehicle
• All copies of the vehicle’s keys
• The V5 vehicle registration document
• The vehicle’s service history
• The unexpired MOT certificate
• The vehicle’s vehicle manuals
• Any accessories including but not limited to locking wheel nuts, SD Vehicles etc.
7. Price and payment
Prior to payment of the price we will carry out an HPI & NMR check to ascertain if your vehicle is clear for payment. If the HPI check is clear, we will pay the price by electronic transfer to the bank account of the registered keeper with immediate effect. The funds will then be transferred to your bank on the same day.
If the NMR or Motorcheck highlight any discrepancies your payment may be put on hold to complete further investigations which may lead to the purchase contract being rescinded. (HPI, NMR & are companies who provide us details relating to a vehicle’s history, mileage, total loss etc).
If the vehicle is subject to a finance agreement with a third party we may agree to proceed with the purchase provided that we have received from the third party a written statement confirming the amount that is required to settle the finance agreement (the settlement figure) and from the owner/customers written authority to pay the third party the settlement figure and that the price is sufficient to cover the settlement figure.
We will pay any settlement figure to the third party within ten business days and any balance of the price after allowing for payment of the settlement figure to the bank account of the registered keeper in three business days.
8. Our liability
We are not responsible or liable for any loss except from cases in which our negligence resulted in loss of, or damage to, our physical property. We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability for death or personal injury that we cause. We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
Exchange Vehicle, or to make any allowance in respect thereof, and the customer/owner remains liable to the pay the Total Price, where any devices are fitted to the Part Exchange Vehicle that may store data, such as telephone systems, satellite navigation systems, trackers, or telematics systems, any data stored on such devices shall be removed by the customer/owner prior to us accepting the Part Exchange Vehicle. Similarly, it is the customer/owners responsibility to ensure all personal information, however stored, is removed from the vehicle. If the customer/owner fails to do so We shall not be held liable if Your data is not removed from the Vehicle before it is passed to another party.
9. Ownership and risk
The risk and ownership in your vehicle will transfer from you to us at the point the purchase invoice is signed and the vehicle is left onsite in our possession.
You remain fully responsible for insuring your vehicle until risk and ownership in your vehicle has been transferred to us.
10. Law and jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions and any Purchase Contract made under these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the law of Scotland and both we and you agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts.